ELLERN MEDE Barnet
Eating Disorders are extraordinarily complex illnesses that present with abnormalities in physical and psychological functioning. The physical complications have the potential to cause permanent damage and in some cases are life threatening. The causes are complex and multi-factorial, including genetic, neurodevelopmental and environmental influences. They require a comprehensive treatment programme including medical, psychiatric, psychological, social and educational interventions.
Ellern Mede offers two treatment programmes, a Recovery Unit and a High Dependency Unit (HDU). We aim to stabilise patients’ physical and psychological states as rapidly as possible for transfer to step down service. The HDU admits patients whose illness requires more intense levels of clinical involvement and nursing. The service is able to admit patients requiring treatment under mental health legislation. The aims of the services are to improve the patients’ health and dependency needs sufficiently for transfer to a regular eating disorder unit or to the community.
The post holder will work as a member of the nursing team, which is responsible for delivering high quality nursing care to young people and their families on a day-today basis. At the core of the role are the maintenance, facilitation and development of clinical excellence, which includes (in conjunction with the multi-disciplinary team and senior nurses), the participation in and upholding of the structured programme, as well as devising, implementing and reviewing packages of care. The post holder will ensure that all centre guidelines; policies and procedures are adhered to at all times.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The post holder will be expected to carry out the following duties as a member of the Nursing Team.
* To work as a competent practitioner and role model in the provision of therapeutic care and treatment to the young people in the service and their families, under the direction of senior nurses, and consultant psychiatrists.
* To demonstrate creativity, thoughtfulness, sensitivity and respect to young people and their families at all times.
* To ensure that the views and opinions of the young people are actively sought and used to support partnership in the planning and delivery of family centred care.
* To liaise with families to ensure seamless patient care.
* To act as associate / key-worker to young people, and to participate in family / review meetings in this role as required.
* To participate in the planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing care plans and treatment decision-making processes.
* To possess adequate knowledge of nursing skills, and to provide a welcoming, safe and friendly environment for all young people and families.
* To take appropriate responsibility for ensuring the internal and external physical environment is organised and developmentally appropriate.
MANAGERIAL AND LEADERSHIP
* The post holder is expected to show good use of initiative, discretion, and delegation
* To understand the importance of and to ensure that all clinical and legal documents are completed accurately.
* To take an active role in maintaining effective communication with all professionals involved with the care and management of the patient group
* To provide mentorship to members of the nursing team
* When required, to co-ordinate shifts.
MONITORING, EVALUATION, RESEARCH AND TEACHING
* To contribute to the education of learners and parents as appropriate
* To be aware of and demonstrate practice based on knowledge of current advances in this field of nursing practice and research.
* To participate in teaching, developing and publishing child and adolescent / eating disorders nursing work as appropriate
* To regularly participate in clinical supervision, and to attend staff training/ teaching as required.
* To work within the UKCC professional code of conduct at all times.
* To be responsible for self-development through professional and managerial appraisal systems.
* At all times to carry out such other duties and responsibilities as may reasonably be required from time to time by the Centre, compatible with the objectives and duties and level of responsibility of the post.
* To adhere to the policies of the Ellern Mede service for Eating Disorders in respect to Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and all other relevant policies
* To comply with the Data Protection Act.
* At all times to promote and follow anti-discriminatory and non-abusive practice.
* Participate in promoting the work of the Ellern Mede service for Eating Disorders and developing working partnerships with existing and potential referrers.
* The post is covered by the Terms and Conditions of the service at the Ellern Mede service for Eating Disorders
Or check similar jobs