James Maciver Costumes is looking for a creative individual who can translate the Costume Designer’s ideas and drawings into real clothes, in consultation with both the Designer and Head of Costume Operation.
Apply on Partner Site
They will be required to work closely with a team of Creative Costume Makers / Machinists or independently on specific projects assigned to them. The role will be based at the creative studio in Milton Keynes and be responsible to the Head of Costume Operation & Assistant Head of Costume Operation.
We are looking for someone with previous experience of working in a similar studio / home environment who can confidently perform the key duties and responsibilities required.
Duties and responsibilities
* To follow working notes and drawings / instructions relating to the makeup of the garments.
* To follow costume design specifications, seam allowances and details that are indicated on the design sheet and patterns.
* To be able to use own initiative manage and organise their own workload to ensure each assigned project or task is completed within the agreed timescales.
* To regularly meet and update the Head of Costume Operation regarding the daily / weekly workload.
* Ensuring that all sewing machine repairs are reported promptly to the Assistant Head of Costume Operation.
* Reporting all low running stock items to the Head of Costume Operation.
* Ensure that all paperwork and invoices are kept safe and shared with the Office Manager.
* To communicate any questions / concerns to the Head / Assistant Head of Costume Operation. upon project handover ensuring maximum productivity.
* Basic knowledge and understanding of drafting patterns and cutting.
* To ensure all working notes / photographs are documented on the design sheet.
Essential skills and qualifications
* Advanced knowledge in construction methods.
* Excellent finishing skills and a great attention to detail.
* Knowledge and experience of handling a wide range of fabrics including woven, lycra, knit and chiffon.
* Minimum of 2 years’ experience of garment construction with a minimum of 1 year in industry.
* Good time-management skills, including the ability to turn work around quickly.
* Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
* Highly comprehensive sewing skills using industrial machinery.
* Proven track record of making garments and costumes in a professional workroom.
* Flexible, hardworking and organised.
* Positive and constructive attitude.
* The ability to remain calmly under pressure.
* Ability to work with due regard to Health & Safety.
Desirable skills and qualifications
* Good knowledge of basic Health & Safety.
* College degree in Costume Making or Fashion Industry.
We encourage you to offer great suggestions and ideas on all elements of your work.
About James Maciver Costumes
We are a fast-paced dynamic and creative expanding team of 11 employees based in Milton Keynes, working with clients around the UK and Internationally. Our clients range from independent artists to large scale companies within the entertainment and hospitality industry with various requirements and needs.
Our values are to provide a professional, dependable and bespoke service. We pride ourselves on designing and producing high quality products for our clients however large or small.
Hours and environment
Your normal working week will be 40 hours per week Monday to Friday with a paid 30-minute lunch break. You will be asked to work additional hours paid at the agreed rate of contract. You will be working in a shared studio space with access to free parking dependent on availability.
You will receive 20 days paid annual leave plus 8 bank holidays (pro rata).
James Maciver Costumes takes the health and safety of all its employees, workers, contractors or customers very seriously. Within this role you will be expected to ensure that you work safely and take responsibility for your own health and wellbeing as well as others around you.
Reporting to: Head of Costume Operation
Department: Creative Studio
Or check similar jobs