MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER
Apply on Partner Site
£35,000 - £42,000
Our client, a market leading design and manufacturer of lighting, has an exciting opportunity for a motivated and technically minded Mechanical Design Engineer. Working within the Engineering team, this role reports to the Engineering Manager.
The role will particularly suit Mechanical Design Engineers who enjoy varied and challenging work. A systematic approach to problem solving and be capable of working both in a team and without excessive supervision will be required. The ability to use initiative is essential. The mechanical design engineer will be required to support the Engineering department in meeting the company design deliverable standards. They will be responsible for taking the conceptual mechanical design, to produce, and deliver the mechanical design package to the projects team, ensuring all mechanical designs are compliant with legislative and class requirement. Additionally, they would be required to liaise and provide support to both procurement and quality departments as required. The role also includes working as part of the Engineering team support the shop floor to either improve manufacturing processes or introduce new ones.
This side of the role requires from time to time an "hands-on" approach, hence the need for the candidate to feel confident when a practical approach is required. Knowledge in production engineering would also be a bonus to fulfil these requirements.
They will also be required to assist the Custom Projects Team in the following tasks
- Custom Project proposals
- Customer technical assistance
- Commissioning (travel required)
- On-site fault finding (travel required)
This role is for a proactive and ambitious engineer that is keen to embrace an exciting and multidisciplinary role striving to succeed and make the difference in a market leading company.
Assessing project requirements
Agreeing budgets, timescales and specifications with clients and managers
Liaising with suppliers
Undertaking relevant research
Liaising with type approval bodies and organising submissions of designs and related required testing.
Producing and implementing designs and test procedures
Testing, evaluating, modifying and re-testing products
Writing reports and documentation
Providing technical advice
Analysing and interpreting data
Discussing and solving complex problems with manufacturing departments, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers
Making sure a product can be made reliably and will perform consistently in specified operating environments
Managing projects using engineering principles and techniques
Planning and designing new production processes
Using research, analytical, conceptual and planning skills, particularly mathematical modelling and computer-aided design
Considering the implications of issues such as cost, safety and time constraints
Working with other professionals, within and outside the engineering sectorCompetencies:
- Minimum 4 years' experience in mechanical design, R&D, production engineering.
- Experience in lighting design is a bonus
- General electrical / electronic knowledge is a bonus
- Strong mechanical background
- Understanding and use of standards
- Understanding and use of tolerances such as geometric tolerances, shaft & bore, surface roughness
- Strong 3D and 2D CAD knowledge (preferably Solidworks/PDM)
- Effective technical and practical skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Team working skills
- Highly organised individual
- Pro-active attitude, can manage own time
- High attention to detail
- Confident to communicate with all departments within business.
- Must have clean driving licence
- Must have current valid passport
- Full ability to travel abroad according to all recent travel requirements
- Relevant degree in Mechanical Engineering.
In return for your commitment my client offers a stable and secure career for a technically motivated engineer. If you feel this is of interest please send your CV directly to Amber Nickless for a confidential discussion on (phone number removed)
Or check similar jobs