Apply on Partner Site
Genomics England partners with the NHS to provide whole genome sequencing diagnostics. We also equip researchers to find the causes of disease and develop new treatments – with patients and participants at the heart of it all.
Our mission is to continue refining, scaling, and evolving our ability to enable others to deliver genomic healthcare and conduct genomic research.
We are accelerating our impact and working with patients, doctors, scientists, government and industry to improve genomic testing, and help researchers access the health data and technology they need to make new medical discoveries and create more effective, targeted medicines for everybody.
Are you interested in working with truly large scale clinical and genomic data sets? Genomics England currently holds over 40 petabytes of structured and unstructured data and this is just the beginning!
As a Data Architect at Genomics England, you will be responsible for ensuring that our digital products are underpinned by a robust data architecture.
In this role, you will ensure all enterprise products across operational and research aspects of Genomics England business systems are supported by a clear and maintained data architecture. In addition, you will own and maintain data flows, data dictionaries and data models. You will also own the enterprise information architecture and will ensure that this is modelled within the enterprise architecture tooling.
* Understand and manage the data requirements by working with stakeholders to analyse requirements and identifying those of architectural significance
* Formulating the data design including the various requirements as well as balancing the goals and constraints on the solution
* Communicating the data architecture to various stakeholder groups within Genomics England
* Developing data architectures including different data flows, data lifecycle, data security, durability, as well as applying consistent documentation standards and architecture methods
* Supporting developers and making sure they can realise the data architecture by a combination of mentoring and direct involvement
* Verifying implementations and ensuring the delivered systems is consistent with the agreed architecture and meets requirements
* Defining architecture data standards are defined to ensure compliance. This may include Medical Device Accreditation (where relevant)
* Ensuring that squads have available a set of standard patterns, guidance, and technical standards to help them deliver
* Ensuring solutions are documented and assured through defined architecture governance processes
* Knowledge in database technologies adopted by Genomics England including AWS native services, AWS Aurora, Neptune, OpenSearch, Redshift, Dynamo, Document DB, MongoDb, Hbase / Solar
* Experience of architecting, building, and delivering modern data platforms
* Familiar with TOGAF and other enterprise architecture frameworks
* Experience and knowledge of data governance, data quality, and data cataloguing
* Knowledge of master, metadata and reference data management
* An understanding of Agile working practices and sprint based methodology
* Capable of actively contributing to knowledge sharing in the Data Chapter
* Healthcare experience is useful
TOGAF certification is useful!
Being an integral part of such a meaningful mission is extremely rewarding in itself, but in order to support our people, we’re continually improving our benefits package. We pride ourselves on investing in our people and supporting them to achieve their career goals, as well as offering a benefits package including:
* 30 days’ holiday (plus bank holidays), with additional days for long service awards
* A generous pension scheme of up to 15% combined contribution
* Individual learning budgets for every colleague, a Blinkist account and a wide variety of courses on our portal
* A wide variety of wellness benefits including Gympass, a Headspace account, free weekly Yoga classes
* Enhanced maternity & paternity benefits
* Blended working arrangements
Talk to our Talent Team and find out how a career with Genomics England will benefit you.
As part of our recruitment process, all successful candidates are subject to a Standard Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. We therefore require applicants to disclose any previous offences at point of application, as some unspent convictions may mean we are unable to proceed with your application due to the nature of our work in healthcare.
Genomics England operates a blended working model as we know our people appreciate the flexibility. We expect most people to come into the office 2 times each month as a minimum. However, this will vary according to role and will be agreed with your team leader. For some people this is 1 day a quarter, for others it is several days a week. There is no expectation that staff will return to the office full time unless they want to. The exception would be some of our roles that would require you to be on site full time e.g., lab teams, reception team.
Our teams and squads have, and will continue to, reflect on what works best for them to work together successfully and have the freedom to design working patterns to suit, beyond the minimum. Our office locations at the moment are Cambridge and Farringdon (London) and in Winter 2022 we are relocating our London office location to Canary Wharf. We will also be expanding our regional offices.
Looking ahead to our move to Canary Wharf, we will be designing our new space with blended working in mind, and with the flexibility to adapt to changing work patterns. During the pandemic we will be following government advice on working from home guidance.
Or check similar jobs