J. Murphy & Sons Limited is a leading global, specialist engineering and construction company founded in 1951 that improves lives by delivering world-class infrastructure.
Apply on Partner Site
Operating in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Canada, we provide better engineered solutions to infrastructure sectors including Transportation, Water, Power, Natural Resources, and Construction & Property.
Headquartered in London, we also have a number of related businesses – Ground Engineering; Utility Connections; Murphy Plant; Urban Infrastructure; Murphy Process Engineering; Pipeline Testing Services; Specialist Welding Services; and Electrical Services. We are specialists in delivering pipelines; design; marine; structural steel; tunnelling; fabrication; bridges and piling; and invest heavily in our substantial holding of plant; equipment and facilities.
Murphy employs around 3,500 engineers, professional managers and skilled operatives around the world. Together, we work as ‘One Murphy’ by directly delivering the people, plant and expertise needed to make projects a success.
There’s more to Murphy.
Sector Head Of Planning
Recently awarded on of the top 3 Best Big Company in the UK to work for by Best Companies this is a fantastic time to join J. Murphy & Sons! Take a look at the role outline and if you think you fit the bill, and want to work as a Sector Head Of Planning within a team that rewards performance ,drives personal development and offers a great working envionment, we want to hear from you!
To lead and be accountable for the planning team within their area of responsibility (portfolio - typically a sector or business unit(s)). Accountable for ensuring that projects and tenders within their portfolios are effectively planned, scheduled and monitored. Lead the development, deployment and implementation of the business’ planning & project controls procedures across their portfolio.
What you will be doing
* Line and / or functional management of planners, including the management of external planning resources (consultants and contingent workers).
* Proactively adopt performance management tools and processes to address instances of poor performance and or conduct.
* Design the organisation structure of the planning resources within their portfolio – building and organising teams to maximise efficiency and effectiveness.
* Adopt a rigorous and proactive regime of audit and review to ensure planning requirements are adopted, minimise non-compliance, drive high standards and ultimately improve project / business performance.
* Work collaboratively with peers to drive project performance within their portfolio, ensuring that BU and Business targets are achieved or exceeded.
* Lead the development and deployment of sector specific planning & project controls requirements.
* Understand client specific requirements and ensure these are catered for by the resources within their portfolio.
* Client & Stakeholder management
* Develop and maintain effecting communication, collaborative relationships and coordination with other parts of the business (internal suppliers etc.).
* Strategic resource requirements - assess current and future resource requirements, ensuring plans are devised and implemented to overcome gaps, and capacity issues.
* Lead the recruitment process to on-board direct, consultant and contingent workers to meet forecasted requirements.
* Lead the management of talent within their portfolio – ensure there is a healthy pipeline of talent from and emerging to advanced level.
* Accountable for ensuring that integrated, whole life programmes are prepared from first principles in accordance with the Planning and Work Winning procedures.
* To support the Business and its work winning teams to target, pursue and secure projects.
* Endure tender programmes are critically analysed to ensure that the planning and scheduling that underpins them is appropriate, contract / procedurally compliant, robust and achievable.
* Accountable for ensuring that integrated, whole life programmes are prepared and maintained from first principles in accordance with the Planning procedure and Contract requirements.
* Ensure that change control processes are followed in regard to the identification, notification and quantification of time entitlement for delay, disruption and change.
* Ensure there is alignment between Operations, Commercial and Planning resources on projects – single version of the truth.
* Lead the development, deployment, adoption and use of project and portfolio project controls – supporting the early identification of actual and potential areas of concern.
* Critically analyse the performance of projects to identify areas of concern, providing guidance to the business on measures to improve performance.
* Proactively engage with the project teams and other functions to provide intervention support to projects that have been identified as being at risk of missing programme and or financial targets.
Who we are looking for
* Degree educated, preferably in a Construction / Engineering discipline
* Chartered Engineer, CIOB, APM or equivalent – or working towards
* Experience managing a team of planners
* Experience in contract and tender planning for a Tier 1 contractor
* Experience in a site role (Engineering, planning, management) for a Tier 1 contractor
* Performance management and Recruitment
* Stakeholder management and Project management
* Business change / improvement
* Use of planning software (P6, Asta, TILOS, QSRA)
* Experience working in different sectors, clients and contract types
* Resource management / forecasting
* Mentoring / coaching and professional development experience
Or check similar jobs