Position: Ganger (Shifted)
Apply on Partner Site
Reporting to: Field Staff Supervisor
Department: Network Operations – SPN Areas
Employment Period: Permanent
CiP Level: 1%
Salary Range: £30,082 per annum (Plus 12% shift allowance)
Closing date: 05/02/2023
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date.
Job Purpose: To carry out excavation, backfill and reinstatement works on Faults, and Unmetered Connections work streams within the UK Power Networks SPN Distribution Licence area and act as a support person (electrical)
* Responsibility for all aspects of Safety, Health and Environment relevant to this role
* To carry out risk assessments and maintain safe working practices
* Be able to operate hand held IT equipment to receive job instructions and record site information
* Ensure quality of works meets with current policies and procedures
* Ensure works are carried out to meet guaranteed service standards
* Ensure the security of vehicle, tools, plant and equipment
* To be able to work on their own or as lead person in a 2-man excavation team
* Be prepared to undertake other reasonable duties in line with the requirements of the Company
* Act as an ambassador for UK Power Networks and deliver excellent customer service
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
* NRSWA Units (Apply online only)
* Full UK Driving Licence
* Towing Licence
* Machine Operator ticket
* CSCS Operatives card
* Emergency First Aid
* LV Support Person
* Experience of working on electricity network
The following skills are not essential for the role but would be advantageous
* Trench Support (deep excavation)
* Moling qualification
* Abrasive Wheel
* LV Support Person
* Sub-Station Entry
* Dumper Driver
* Work efficiently and communicate effectively with other team members
* Have the enthusiasm to learn and develop new skills and techniques
* Demonstrate a strong safety culture
* Be flexible in their approach to work
Nature and Scope:
The successful applicant will be expected to work either as the lead person in a 2-man excavation team, carrying out planned works, or as part of a combined excavation & jointing team carrying out fault repair work
The successful candidate will be required to travel anywhere within the SPN Footprint of UK Power Networks and participate in an out of hours standby rota.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees will ensure they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees will understand those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
Employees need to be aware that for some craft and operational roles that work at height, or use fall arrest devices, there is an upper weight limit of 116Kg due to maximum safe working load of the safety equipment that is used.
If in doubt ask!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace
Or check similar jobs