Apply on Partner Site
Hull/East Riding - HU17
Monday to Friday, 08:30-16:30
Temporary contract (6th February to 5th May)
Planning Solicitor - Experience of dealing with Section 6 agreements essential
Overall Purpose: To contribute to an effective and efficient Legal Services by giving sound legal advice to Departments, Committees and approved external bodies; to support the Legal Team Manager ( Litigation and Regulatory Services ) in their professional and managerial role
Please note: This job role is specifically for working as a planning solicitor and a preference would be the for candidates whom can work from the office at least 1 day per week
To support the Legal Team Manager (Litigation and Regulatory Services) in the efficient and cost-effective provision of Legal services including conducting research, preparing files and attending meetings.
To provide sound legal advice promptly whenever necessary to Committees and departments of the Council and approved external bodies.
To undertake legal and administrative work of any kind and to assist in the provision of effective and efficient Legal services.
To contribute to the corporate workings of the Council by taking part in interdepartmental groups and working parties and by developing an understanding of local government affairs generally and current issues at the East Riding of Yorkshire Council in particular.
To undertake Committee work, including attendance at Committees, the Cabinet meetings etc. as allocated; liaise and consult with Committee staff in relation to the Committee serviced; to approve draft reports for Committees, the Cabinet etc and to monitor and co-ordinate Committee business in conjunction with Committee staff.
To support the Legal Team Manager (Litigation and Regulatory Services) professionally by -
· developing a knowledge of current local government legal issues
· developing self-management skills and providing accurate time costing and work records using new or existing I. T. systems
informing management of matters of legal or managerial significance in areas for which the postholder has responsibility
To assist in the development, implementation, and maintenance of monitoring and other systems for the efficient conduct of business
To carry out advocacy on behalf of the Council in any forum
To undertake such other duties as are allocated.
· The above principal accountabilities are not exhaustive and may vary without changing the character of the job or level of responsibility.
· The postholder must be flexible to ensure the operational needs of the Council are met. This includes undertaking duties of a similar nature and responsibility as and when required, throughout the various places of work in the Council.
· The Health and Safety at Work etc Act, 1974 and other associated legislation places responsibilities for Health and Safety on all employees. Therefore, it is the postholder's responsibility to take reasonable care for Health and Safety and Welfare of him/herself and other employees in accordance with legislation.
· The above duties may involve having access to information of a confidential nature which may be covered by the Data Protection Act and by Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act, 1972. Confidentiality must always be maintained.
Posts on scale point 28 and above are politically restricted under the Local Government and Housing Act 1989. This means that the postholder is automatically disqualified from holding public elected office such as a Councillor in a local authority (other than in a parish or community council).
Unsocial Hours - The weekly hours are 37 per week plus additional time as may be necessary to ensure the efficient operation of Legal services, including evening/night and weekend work as required. The grading of this post takes this special condition into account. Where the post is job share this is worked out on a pro rata basis
The above principal accountabilities are not exhaustive and may vary without changing the character of the job or level of responsibility.
If you are interested and meet the above criteria, please send your CV to (url removed) or call the Commercial team on (phone number removed) if you have any queries.
Due to the high volume of CVs we are currently receiving, we are unable to reply to each application. If you have not heard from us within 10 days, then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Please note: Prestige Recruitment is an equal opportunity employer with 30 years of service within the recruitment & staffing sector
Or check similar jobs