Building a sustainable tomorrow
Apply on Partner Site
BAM Construction are recruiting a Commercial Manager for the western region. This role will be based between the office in Exeter, Sites across the region and remote home working. This is an excellent career opportunity for an individual who wants bring positive leadership to the commercial function and join the senior team to help shape the future strategic direction of our regional business.
Reporting to the Commercial Director in the Western region and as a member of the senior management team within the region, you will lead a portfolio of projects from pre-construction through to final account.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
• Responsible for all commercial aspects of a portfolio of projects
• Ensure that the BAM’s commercial position is protected using an in-depth understanding, and experience of contractual, commercial insurance and legal processes.
• Responsibility for effective client relationship management to encourage smooth commercial progression of the contract. Provides liaison with the client, PQS, and senior staff on commercial issues.
• Provide commercial support to the tendering process when required.
• Prepare commercial report for tenders when required
• Expected to manage and provide development and support for a team of commercial staff, including participation in selection and recruitment. Carrying out Personal Developments Reviews including setting objectives in line with the objectives of the Business.
• Responsible for the planning and management of own work and the work of others.
• Lead the commercial discipline to ensure the commercial success of all projects and contributing to the commercial performance of the region.
• Lead and develop staff to ensure they are fully engaged and motivated to achieve their best performance.
• Working closely with all other disciplines, providing commercial support and direction where needed.
• Liaising with other BAM businesses – FM, Design, Services Engineering, Plant and Properties to create synergies and offer added-value services to client whenever possible.
• Share all market information gleaned at project level with the region and the wider company when relevant.
• Develop close relationships with clients, consultants and the supply chain with a view to building long-term productive relationships.
• Managing and co-ordinating staff requirements in line with the overall demands of the region’s workload.
• Have full knowledge of and ensure compliance with BAM’s Best Practice procedures and ensure direct reports do likewise.
• Report to regional management on a monthly and quarterly basis on the financial performance of the projects for which you are responsible
• Participate in national business improvement initiatives as required.
Who are we looking for?
• You will have demonstrable experience working at a senior level, have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively engage with BAM staff, clients and external consultants while building relationships internally and externally.
• You will understand both private and public sector project procurement processes and be comfortable working in a time critical, fast moving environment.
• You will be contractually aware and be able to work collaboratively to achieve desired outcomes.
• You will be able to demonstrate effective and persuasive internal and external oral and written communication skills
• Ability to multi-task and provide focus, direction and solutions where required
• Ability to demonstrate a noteworthy track record of administering successful contracts.
• Effective commercial/contract management skills are essential, with clear knowledge of best practice contract methodologies.
• Good commercial skills and ability to make sound decisions on matters of financial value.
• Understanding of contract performance measurement, risk and opportunity management and change and claim management.
• Good negotiating, influencing and communication skills to command professional respect at all levels.
• Familiarity with most common forms of contract within construction industry is essential.
What’s in it for you?
A challenging and continuously changing environment in a forward thinking organisation. In addition to an attractive salary and benefits package, we support further personal growth and development.
BAM operates a flexible working policy.
Your work environment
People are at the heart of what we do at BAM. We recognise that creating a diverse and inclusive environment that nurtures our employees and encourages them to bring their best and whole self to work is crucial. We’re on an exciting journey to get us there by recruiting the very best talent to join us regardless of race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or other characteristics.
Be you! Join us today, so we can achieve amazing things together and build a sustainable tomorrow.
Who are we?
The art of building is about building for communities; it’s about building for life.
Where others stop, we go further, leading the way towards a sustainable tomorrow for us and future generations. As an industry leader, we raise the bar.
Our values: sustainable, inclusive, collaborative, reliable and ownership, enable us to achieve our ambitions. Today, tomorrow and every day.
Our recruitment process, what you need to know?
BAM is committed to ensuring a fully inclusive recruitment and onboarding process, so if at anytime you feel you may need any reasonable adjustments, do not hesitate to speak with one of our team, and we will do our best to support you
Or check similar jobs