UK Power Networks (Operations) Ltd
Are you interested in more Engineering jobs?Apply on Partner Site
Position: Fusing Hand
Reporting to: Field Staff Supervisor
Location: Central London – Shorts Gardens
Department: Network Operations
Reference Number: 76395
Employment Period: Permanent – (7 day extended hour working shift)
Contract Type: Collective
Salary: £35,757 plus 19% shift allowance, London Allowance, company van, bonus and benefits
Closing Date: 30/03/2023
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date
We also provide the following additional benefits
* Annual Leave
* Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
* Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme, Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme and season ticket loan
* Occupational Health support and Employee Assistance Programme
* Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products, supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres and discounted access to sports and social clubs
Main Job Purpose:
A Fusing Hand works within the London Region of UKPN with the purpose of maintaining and operating the LV Network and delivering a world class service for a world class city.
The role is within the shifted fault teams, who are responsible for the rapid restoration of LV supplies right in the heart of Central London. This is a fast paced role as the team have to respond to LV Network faults and be on site within 30 minutes.
To work as part of a shifted team to deliver and ensure the LV Network is running as designed, to assist enhanced fault response performance within the Central London area. This includes liaison with customers, Network Operations and Control management of contractors as required. This will involve close working with our full time dedicated Customer Liaison Officers.
When the fault volumes are low, a Fusing Hand will carry out fusing down and restoration of the LV Network to allow ICP’s to work safety. Unlike the fault work this covers the whole of UKPN’s London footprint not just Central London.
* The restoration of LV supplies in agreement with LV Control
* Testing and switching on the LV Network – and understanding the results of the tests and acting appropriately
* Act as part of a team in the restoration of LV supplies following an LV block shutdown
* Understanding and providing updates for operational and 1:500 diagrams
* Immediate supervision of a Mate
* Full LV Network sweeps of interconnected and radial networks, restoring as far as possible to normal running
* Use of test equipment to detect and then replace blown LV fuses
* Use of hand held device onsite for the recording of work, including LB inspections.
Nature and Scope
The person undertaking this role plays a vital role in the provision of electrical safety for others, maintenance of supplies plus the safe and timely restoration where supplies are lost during LV faults.
The Company is regulated by various guidelines, and this role is particularly important in ensuring successful compliance with Customer Minutes Lost and Customer Interruptions targets, as well as compliance with the competition in connections regulation.
Skill and Educational Requirements
The following skills and attributes are important to this role
* City and Guilds 232
* HAUC qualification as an operative
* Flexibility and able to work in a team environment
* Ability to problem solve in a practical way
* Able to work under pressure
* Must have a clean driving licence
The following are important attributes for this role:
* Strong safety focus required
* Must be customer focused
* Must be willing to undertake shift working
Any training required will be provided to the suitable candidate
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees will ensure they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees will understand those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
Employees need to be aware that for some craft and operational roles that work at height, or use fall arrest devices, there is an upper weight limit of 116Kg due to maximum safe working load of the safety equipment that is used.
If in doubt ask!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace
Or check similar jobs