£35000 - £45000/annum 10% Pension, Life Assurance
Are you interested in more Engineering jobs?Apply on Partner Site
Electrical Design / PLC Engineer
Salary – Negotiable DOC.Inc 10% Pension and Life AssurancePermanent
Our Client is an early stage renewable energy company heading into a very exciting period of growth. Their unique wind turbine can be deployed in conjunction with solar/battery technologies to drive diesel displacement or as embedded generation exporting directly to grid. Following initial commercial sales, the technology is gaining significant traction in both the Telecoms and Built Environment sectors as companies grapple with delivering net zero targets.
As our Client develop and improve current and future product and projects, an opportunity has been created for an PLC/design engineer with an interest in working with renewable energies.
The main purpose of the role will be highly skilled Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) Engineer to join their dynamic team. The PLC Engineer will play a crucial role in the development, programming, and maintenance of the PLC-based control systems, ensuring optimal performance and reliability.
The ideal candidate would understand renewable technologies however other industries with transferable AC generation, DC-DC conversion and battery storage will be considered.
* Become familiar with the Company turbine mechanically and electrically and their hybrid energy partners. Including control and electrical system designs for the Wind Turbine, Solar PV and other power management systems.
* Equipment is typically: Up to 15Kw turbine size. 20Kw solar PV, AC & DC to 800v, 0- 200A, multistage charging to Lithium battery and grid tie at single and three phase.
* Project focus. Work with the team to ensure work is completed to project timing and to required project outcomes and standards.
* Develop and design PLC-based control systems for Wind turbine projects.
* Collaborate with cross-functional teams including electrical engineers, project managers, and technicians to gather requirements and understand system specifications.
* Write and modify PLC programs using ladder logic, structured text, or other programming languages based on project requirements.
* Conduct thorough testing and debugging of PLC programs to ensure accurate functionality and adherence to design specifications.
* Install, configure, and commission PLC hardware components such as programmable logic controllers, input/output modules, and communication modules.
* Integrate PLC systems with other automation equipment such as human-machine interfaces (HMIs), sensors, drives, encoder’s, AC/DC convertors, Solar and wind generators
* Troubleshoot and diagnose PLC-related issues, perform root cause analysis, and implement effective solutions in a timely manner.
* Conduct regular maintenance activities, including software updates, backups, and system optimization to ensure smooth operation and minimize downtime.
* Collaborate with the customer or end-user to provide technical support, address concerns, and offer training on PLC systems.
* Stay up to date with the latest trends and advancements in PLC technology, Wind turbine, and relevant standards.
* Assist in the generation and maintenance of product documentation: functional specifications, working practices, work permits, manuals, project technical files, training, and health & safety documentation.
* Contributing to internal and external multidisciplinary design reviews, supplier design reviews, supplier project meetings etc.
* Turbine locations could be UK or Rest of world locations.
* Visit manufacturing suppliers for relevant meetings, factory testing of systems and equipment to minimize site-based commissioning and delays.
Engineering Quality & Product Progression.
* Ensure the above requirements are transparent and honestly reported to management and work within ISO 9001 processes.
* The ability to work with project managers to scope out and deliver work with respect to time, resources and cost is essential.
* Assist and perform QA/QC on project design or equipment designed by other Engineers. Work within check and approval processes and assist or set up processes where they do not currently exist.
* Assist in implementation of Crossflows quality management systems/processes.
Health and Safety
* H&S is paramount. Work within company and UK regulations and promote safety within the organisation.
* Perform risk assessments of own work and other staff document as per Company’s HSSE policy.
HNC/HND or higher in Electrical Engineering and experience in PLC’s.
Experience in DC-DC conversion, Inversion, electrical charging, battery storage, and PLC desirable.
Experience – ESSENTIAL
Familiarity with electrical international standards and codes to ensure product compliance.
Have Strong knowledge of PLC programming languages such as ladder logic, structured text, or function block diagram.
Proficiency in programming software tools for PLCs, such as Siemens TIA Portal.
Familiarity with industrial communication protocols (e.g., Profibus, Modbus, Ethernet/IP) and networking concepts.
Solid understanding of electrical circuits, motor control systems, and industrial control components.
Experience with HMI design and configuration will be an advantage.
Strong problem-solving skills and ability to troubleshoot complex issues in PLC systems.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively collaborate with team members and customers.
Detail-oriented with a strong commitment to quality and safety standards.
Having worked in a project focused, can do environment
Or check similar jobs