About the role
Apply on Partner Site
Our team shape projects that connect communities and impact daily life for millions. Join our Living Places team as a Highways Maintenance Operative and build new futures. This role is based within Herefordshire operating from Kingsland Depot.
As a member of the routine & reactive team the role is to work within teams ensuring the highways remain safe and well maintained by carrying out a wide range of tasks such as highway repairs, drainage clearing, gritter driving and emergency response.
What you'll be doing
The successful candidate will:
• Carry out various highway repairs;
• Carry out minor civil engineering works such as kerbing or drainage installation;
• Install and maintain traffic management;
• Carry out the cleansing and jetting of highway drainage systems and road gullies;
• Carry out maintenance to countywide drainage features e.g., ditch clearing and grip cutting;
• Support in need of emergency response;
• Carry out point of work risk assessments for all tasks;
• Ensure that all Health & Safety policies and procedures are always adhered to;
• Report any deficiencies in plant, equipment, or damaged infrastructure;
• Embrace and support a culture of continuous improvement, through effective communication involving open discussions, feedback and exchange of new ideas and best practice;
• Ensure all required paperwork is accurate and regularly submitted to the Drainage Supervisor;
• Ensure the public are treated respectfully at all times.
Who we're looking for
The successful candidate will require flexibility to work across the public realm contract, providing cover and additional resource to other service areas when required.
The following competencies are essential:
• Experience of working within a Highways Maintenance environment;
• Ability to work as part of a team;
• Manual Handling competency;
• Full Driving Licence.
The following competencies are desirable:
• HGV C licence (Class 2);
• Traffic Management T1/T2 training qualification;
• Telehandler qualification;
• 360 Tracked excavator (<5t) qualification.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on
Or check similar jobs