This role focuses on the technical engineering and digital modelling aspects carried out during the development of composite products and processes in a highly complex and fast-paced environment working within the Automotive, Aerospace, Motorsport and Marine fields. This position provides technical support for the manufacture of complex composite components and tooling to meet customer quality requirements on time and to cost.
Apply on Partner Site
Responsible for a variety of composite component projects. This ranges from managing technical work packages for new programmes or R&D projects; to supporting production day-to-day manufacturing activities.
Have product responsibility for the design, development, and investigation of novel structural composite components. This will sometimes include full ownership of the digital twin including meshing, structural laminate analysis and post processing.
* Determining the methods, tooling and processes required for manufacturing the company's products
* Contribute to New Product Introduction (NPI) projects within the Engineering Team.
* Accurately document engineering processes and procedures for low/medium and high volume composite production methods. This will specifically include the generation of work instructions, ply books and assembly manuals.
* Produce 3D CAD Models & 2D engineering drawings using Siemens NX. Also producing FEA results from these CAD models, having a start to finish ownership from initial CAD through to simulation and part release.
* Design of jigs & fixtures including machining/inspection fixtures from a wide range of materials
* Develop and oversee the maintenance of fixtures and tooling for composite manufacturing.
* Compile data and publish technical reports as necessary for new and existing processes in the department.
* Liaising with customers and subcontractors on technical queries
* Investigate and perform feasibility studies for new processes or techniques to reduce cost and improve quality.
* Manage technical and statement of work requirements from customers
* Work within the Retrac Engineering Team to manage cross-functional teams to ensure robust scope, plans and schedules are developed to deliver project commitments.
* Performing other duties as may be deemed necessary to ensure the effective running of the Department and Company.
Qualifications and skills
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
* Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
* Technical problem solving skills.
* Willing to take hands-on approach to developing components, manufacturing processes and testing methods.
* Demonstrable experience of designing complex composite structures
* Experience used of 3D CAD, preferably Siemens NX
* Experience with CAD meshing, specifically for composite laminates in preparation for FEA
* Experience running well known simulation solvers such as the Altair or Dassault products.
* Working knowledge of Catia V5 advantageous
* Good understanding of GD&T tolerancing
* Knowledge of Polymer Matrix Composite including different types of resins, fibres, manufacturing techniques, and testing methods
* Previous experience of developing work instructions, ply books & assembly manuals for structural composite components
* Degree/master's degree in relevant field of study preferable
Or check similar jobs